Saturday, July 18, 2009

Son Of Avonar by Carol Berg


SON OF AVONAR
Mass Market Paperback: 472 pages
Publisher: Roc (2004)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0451459628
ISBN-13: 978-0451459626
Genre: Fantasy

Synopsis:
Magic is forbidden throughout the Four Realms. For decades, sorcerers and those associating with them were hunted to near extinction.

But Seri, a Leiran noblewoman living in exile, is no stranger to defying the unjust laws of her land. She is sheltering a wanted fugitive who possesses unusual abilities - a fugitive with the fate of the realms in his hands...


Comments:
Son Of Avonar is the first book in a facinating fantasy series by writer Carol Berg. With this book she has won the 2006 Winner of the 2006 Prism Award.

I have to admit the reason I bought this book was the opening scene where a naked stranger runs into the heroine. But the story really was not about that. Still I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is more what I would term a classical fantasy novel with a touch of romance. But the romance element is not in the sense of the romance genre. I suspect the audiance of these books were meant to be a younger crowd (thank myself :D). Struggle of good and evil is a strong theme throughout the series.

The style of the books in this series is especially interesting. Always written in first person, but the person telling the story changes from chapter to chapter. I found this very interesting and especially useful way of avoiding the difficulties the first person narration presents in general. It manages to give a more up close description of situations where the hero may not be present and makes the story all the more captivating for it.

I think if you like reading fantasy, you will enjoy these books.


Where to find one:
You can find a copy of Son Of Avonar at AC Read:

2 comments:

  1. I am getting more and more into fantasy books. I'm going to have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know that I have an award for you here: http://lovesromances.blogspot.com/2009/08/thank-you.html

    ReplyDelete